The Investor Defender team is a practice group at Samuels Yoelin Kantor LLP. We represent individuals and institutional investors nationwide. Choosing an attorney may be the most important decision you make in the investment recovery process. We invite you to review our credentials and to contact our offices to speak with an experienced securities attorney today.
Meet Our Top Securities Litigator
Contact Us Today
- Phone: 800.647.8130
- Representing Clients Nationwide. Call today to speak with a member of the Investor Defender Team. Initial consultations are complimentary and confidential.
Darlene Pasieczny (“Pah-shetch-nee”) leads the Investor Defenders team, with support from our SYK litigators and paralegal staff.
Her wide range of experience and knowledge in the field of securities litigation, elder financial abuse, and FINRA arbitration gives her the edge to help her clients recover investment losses (Watch Video ). Based in Portland, Oregon, Darlene is licensed in Oregon and Washington but her FINRA arbitration practice enables her to represent investors nationwide.
Darlene also represents parties in other financial and fiduciary litigation, such as trust and estate disputes, shareholder rights cases, and elder financial abuse. Sometimes these matter involve financial professionals, and sometimes they unfortunately involve friends, family, trusted caretakers, or other professionals like CPAs and accountants.
Her Investor Defender practice group focuses on investor protection and investment loss recovery for individuals, fiduciaries, groups of investors in court and FINRA arbitration. The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) is the self-regulatory organization that regulates and licenses securities brokerage firms and individual brokers across the country. FINRA arbitration is the main forum in the securities industry for resolution of legal disputes between investors and these industry professionals.
FINRA arbitration is a specialized forum with its own procedural rules – and Darlene knows how to navigate them.
Darlene began her legal career at Banks Law Office, PC with founding attorney Robert S. Banks, Jr., whose experience includes over 30 years of recovering investment losses for investors. There she worked on all stages of corporate and securities litigation, FINRA arbitration, legal malpractice cases, and complex civil litigation, and helped investors recover millions of dollar in investment losses through arbitration, court, mediation and settlements.
In addition, Darlene’s years of service work with the Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association (PIABA) gives her first-hand knowledge of upcoming FINRA rule changes and contact with state and federal securities regulators. She actively participates in shaping the procedural rules of FINRA arbitration and advocating for fairness and transparency in the securities industry.
PIABA is an international bar association whose members represent investors in disputes with the securities industry. Darlene was awarded the 2017 Outstanding Service Award from PIABA for her dedicated work. She was elected to the PIABA Board of Directors in October, 2017.
She is an advocate for fairness and transparency in the securities industry.
In her law practice, Darlene brings a particular sensitivity to working with the all-too often targets of securities fraud — retirees and women investors from every level of investment experience. Pasieczny (pronounced “Pah-shetch-nee”) is a Polish surname. Darlene’s mother and paternal grandparents immigrated to the U.S. and instilled in her a strong emphasis on education, hard work, and justice for the underrepresented.
Select Speaking Engagements & Publications
- * Speaker, “Recent Tools to Combat Financial Elder Abuse: Mandatory and Permissive Conduct Under FINRA Rules and Oregon Law for Securities Professionals,” Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section, Portland, OR, February 2019
- * Author, “New Tools Help Financial Professionals Prevent Elder Abuse”, Oregon State Bar Elder Law Newsletter, vol. 22, no. 1, January 2019
- * Moderator, “Hybrid Advisers: Regulation and Claims Regarding Dual-Registered Brokers and RIAs,” PIABA Securities Law Seminar, Bonita Springs, FL, October 2018
- * Speaker, “Lunching with Fiduciary Litigators: Red Flags and Strategies for Oregon and Washington,” SYK Seminar Series, Portland, OR, July 2018
- * Speaker, “Financial Elder Abuse, FINRA & State Legislation: What Securities Professionals, Financial Institutions, and Trust Companies Need to Know,” Portland, OR, July 2018
- * Moderator, “The Speeding Train of Cryptocurrency Investments, Supervision, and Securities Regulation,” PIABA Mid-Year CLE, Los Angeles, CA, May, 2018
- * Guest Lecturer, Investor Protection Clinic, William S. Boyd School of Law, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, April 2018
- * Speaker, “The Nuts and Bolts of SEC Whistle-blower Claims – and how the Recent Digital Realty case Changed the Landscape,” Oregon State Bar Securities Regulation Section, Portland, OR, March 2018
- * Speaker, “Senate Bill 95, House Bill 2622, and FINRA Rules 2165 & 4512: What Oregon Securities Professionals, Financial Institutions, and Trust Companies Need to Know,” SYK Seminar Series, Portland, OR, March 2018
- * Speaker, “Senate Bill 95: Safeguarding Seniors,” FPA of Oregon & SW Washington, Portland, OR, February 2018
- * Guest Lecturer, St. John’s University School of Law, Securities Arbitration Clinic, Queens, NY, February 2018
- * Moderator, “Cybersecurity: Regulation and Enforcement in the Battle of Attacks on Investors and Firm Information,” PIABA Securities Law Seminar, Colorado Springs, CO, October 2017
- * Panelist, “FINRA Securities Dispute Resolution – What Lies Beyond the Task Force?” 19th Annual ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Spring Conference, San Francisco, CA, 2017
- * Speaker, “War & PEAC: Negotiating with the Tech Industry over Fiduciary Access to Digital Property,” SW Washington Estate Planning Council, Vancouver, WA, 2016
- * Speaker, “Red Flags in Your Incoming Client’s Portfolio? What You Should Know About Securities Claims for Recovering Investment Losses,” Financial Planning Association of Oregon and SW Washington, Portland, OR, 2016
- * Moderator, “Blowing the Whistle Under Dodd-Frank & SOX: The SEC’s and CFTC’s Whistle-blower Program,” PIABA Securities Law Seminar, San Diego, CA, 2016
- * Moderator, “Clearing Firm Liability,” PIABA Securities Law Seminar, Ponte Verda Beach, FL, 2015
- * Speaker, “Creditors’ Claims,” Oregon Law Institute, 2015 ABCs of Decedents’ Estate Administration, Portland, OR, 2015
- * Panelist, “Latest Developments in FINRA Securities Arbitration,” 17th Annual ABA Section of Dispute Resolution Spring Conference, Seattle, WA, 2015
- * Speaker, “Recent Developments at FINRA“, 33rd Annual Northwest Securities Institute, Portland, OR, 2013
- Lewis & Clark Law School, J.D.
- Magna cum laude
- Columbia University, M.A.
- Andrew W. Mellon Fellowship in Humanistic Studies
- Reed College, B.A.
- Phi Beta Kappa
Awards, Honors, Service
- FINRA Arbitrator
- Reed College Board of Trustees
- Alumni Trustee, July 2018 – Present
- PIABA Board of Directors
- Director, October 2017 – Present
- Oregon State Bar, Securities Regulation Section
- At-large Member, Executive Committee, Jan 2019
- PIABA Securities Law Seminar Committee and SRO Committee
- Reed College Alumni Board
- At-Large Director, 2015-2018
- Alumni Trustee, July 2018- Present
- PIABA 2017 Outstanding Service Award
Affiliations & Associations
- Oregon State Bar
- Washington State Bar
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- Gus J. Solomon American Inn of Court
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Oregon Trial Lawyers Association
- Oregon Women Lawyers, Portland Chapter
- Public Investors Arbitration Bar Association (PIABA)
“I highly recommend Darlene Pasieczny. She is a lawyer who is personable, knowledgeable, and responsive. Darlene has the unique ability to provide very clear explanations of the legal process every step of the way. From the first time I spoke with her about my lawsuit, to the successful conclusion, Darlene was always the support I needed.”
– Jacki, Dispute with Financial Advisor over Promissory Note Investment